Department: Cloud Operations
Reports to: Director of Technology
The primary objective of the Cloud and Managed Services Engineer, as a part of the Cloud Operations team (CloudOps), is to implement, document, and support reference service architectures provided by AIS Technology Services Solution Architects in private, community, and public-cloud infrastructures. As part of the CloudOps team, the Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will work closely with Datacenter operations to ensure contracted services are delivered in a timely and efficient manner.
The Cloud and Managed Services Engineer is considered an advanced member of the Operations team, but will also be asked to provide customer service as a managed services operational staff member.
The role also requires business acumen to identify and evaluate the financial and operational impact of technical developments, and to suggest improvements, where beneficial to the organization.
The Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will be responsible for the deployment, technical validation, and Tier II/Tier III support of client contracted managed services. This will also require hands-on administration and management of services and client workloads. In addition, the Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will assume internal IT responsibilities to support day-to-day operations.
Essential Cloud and Managed Services Engineer technical duties include:
- Provide telephone, email, and in-person support for AIS managed services clients.
- Manage and triage escalations within Service Level Objectives.
- Respond to client inquiries concerning contracted services.
- Provide thorough, well-written emails for technical issue resolution.
- Provide regular reports to management on issue progress and tracking.
- Assist with after-hours maintenances on managed systems and data center equipment.
Essential Cloud and Managed Services Engineer organizational responsibilities include:
- Assist the client services team in the operationalization of services as they are rolled into production. This includes the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of new and existing processes and procedures.
- Provide desktop and back office systems support to AIS Technology Services employees. This includes maintenance and continuous improvement of internal systems.
In addition, the Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will be expected to assume the role of an operational subject matter expert (OSME) for technical fields as assigned by the Director of Technology and Sr. Cloud Engineer.
The operational SME will be expected to:
- Assume the leading operational role (a.k.a. Subject Matter Expert) in one or more technical fields:
- Guide and mentor peers in assigned technical fields
- Be responsible for knowledge distribution
- Be responsible for advancing the organizational knowledge in assigned technical field
- Work closely with the CloudOps, Network Operations (NetOps), and Solution Architecture teams in holistically identifying technology developments that may improve operational efficiencies
The Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will ideally have 3-5 years documented experience with public cloud architectures and operations of multi-tenant environments. The position requires broad-based, hands-on experience with IT service management and administration across multiple layers including:
- Strong full-stack knowledge of public and private multi-tenant architectures
- Orchestration, Automation, and Scripting Tools (PowerShell, *nix shells)
- Operating systems administration (hardening, user and domain administration) for both Linux and Windows deployments
- Hypervisors including Hyper-V and VMware
- Storage networks and associated protocols; especially integrating public cloud storage
- IP networks and associated protocols
- Understanding of backup and data protection objectives including reporting of metered services
A strong understanding of security is also important to ensure that services are appropriately designed to mitigate security risks. Specific security objectives include deploying vulnerability management tools that are cloud-enabled, anti-malware service automation, Security Group functionality tied to domain, services, and user profiles.
Other considerations: The Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will be asked to participate in Tier II/Tier III on-call rotations.
The Cloud and Managed Services Engineer will need demonstrable skills in the following areas:
- System Administration in multi-tenant, virtualized environments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong understanding of the ITIL framework, specifically in the areas of Service, Change, Incident, and Problem management
- Strong communication and presentation skills as well as effective planning and prioritization skills
- Ability to influence without authority
- Basic understanding of sales, marketing, operations, finance & accounting, and international business practices
- Self-motivated and “can-do” attitude
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline or the equivalent combination of education, professional training, or work experience.
AIS Technology Services encourages candidates to obtain relevant industry certifications and will assist in the process, based on business needs. Preferred candidate will hold one or more of the following industry certifications:
- ITIL Certification (Strongly Preferred)
- Public Clouds (AWS, Azure)
- Networking Certifications (Cisco, Network+)
- Industry Standard Security Certifications
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. No phone calls, please.
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Cloud and Managed Services Engineer.